Environmental Drivers of Species Abundance
Censusing America's Consumers
How Much Carbon Will America's Future Forests Hold?
Continent-wide tree fecundity driven by indirect climate effects
Nature Communications (2021)
future of tree seeds;
fewer in West, more in East.
climate / size effects.
The Recovery of Dung Beetle Biodiversity and traits in a regenerating rainforest
Insect Conservation and Diversity (2021)
dung beetles can recover
if humans let them.
The Importance of Large Trees for Carbon Estimation
Global Ecology and Biogeography (2020)
Forests of Gabon
hold twice the global average
above ground carbon.
Integrating Camera Trap, Visual, and Dung Survey Data
better counting with
dung, sight, and camera traps.
How to Estimate the Gut Passage Time of Wild Forest Elephants
Wildlife Biology (2019)
tell us how long they digest
Landscape-level Validation of Allometry and the Importance of Soils
Ecological Application (2019)
bias carbon estimates
at the landscape scale?
Forecasting Food: the Unacknowledged Dimension of Habitat Variability
Ecological Monographs (2019)
pulsed seed production
supports and taxes food webs;
life history counts.
Long Term Effects of Low-Intensity Logging on Seed Dispersal
Annals of Botany, Plants (2018)
even after light-logging,
Forest Elephant Extirpation Will Transform African Forests
Conservation Biology (2018)
shape African forests, and
they're going extinct.
The Joint Responses of Growth and Survival to Adversity
American Journal of Primatology (2015)
first-born infants grow
and survive like later-borns,
unless they are male
Ongoing Grants, Projects, and Collaborations
Dispersal Dynamics and Masting Events
- Joining seed rain data from the Eastern US and Google Earth Engine environmental covariates to describe ecological causes and consequences of masting events. (NASA)
- Integrating animal behavior, evolutionary ecology, and life history theory to understand how pulsed resources mediate the spatio-temporal structure of consumer populations. (NSF)
- Comparing ecological and climatological predictors of mast seeding in different biomes. (NSF)
Disperser Behavior and Conservation
- Assessing the social and ecological determinants of collective behavior, movement, and dispersal in Baboons (Max Planck Institute, Centre for the Advanced Study of Collective Behaviour, Uni Konstanz)
- Assessing social, ecological, and economic drivers of bushmeat market species composition in Gabon. (US Fish and Wildlife/Parcs Gabon)
- Modelling forest elephant seed dispersal and evaluating the consequences of differential dispersal by animal sex, site and homerange. (Duke Bass Connections)
Community Composition and Global Change
- Creating an open-source workflow providing predicted species distributions for plants, small mammals, and beetles at all sites in the National Ecological Observatory Network. (NASA)
- Modelling tropical tree community composition using climate records, remote sensing, and future climate predictions. (NSF GRF)
- Comparing community resilience to climate change in ecologically analogous, but evolutionarily distinct communities in Europe and North America. (NSF)